HOLMES NAMED TO PROBE MASS. STATE, ADVISE INDIGENT

Hurley Charges Waste and Questions Facilities at Agricultural Institution In Amherst

Henry W. Holmes '03, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, yesterday was twice singled out by Governor Charles F. Hurley to serve the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

First Dean Holmes was named to fill President-emeritus Lowell's position as chairman of the Advisory Committee to the State Unemployment Compensation Commission, and then later in the day, Governor Hurley announced that he would appoint Dean Holmes head of a group to make a thorough survey of Massachusetts State College at Amherst.

Trustees' Meeting

The Governor's decision to name Holmes to conduct the investigation of the farming school apparently was made on the spur of the moment at the annual meeting of the trustees of the State College.

Dean Holmes last night declined to state whether he would accept the appointment "until I receive official notification of it." He said that the Governor had not mentioned the appointment to him previously, and the first knowledge "I had of it came from the papers. It was a complete surprise to me," Holmes declared.

Budget Cutting

According to the Governor, the purpose of the survey will be to discover whether the budget of the State Colege can be pared. James G. Reardon, commissioner of education, backed his Governor in attacking Hugh P. Baker, president of the State College.

Hurley denied he was considering ousting President Baker. He was seeking information about the number of faculty members and the facilities of the college, which President Baker was unable to give him.

Outstanding Educator

The Governor said, "I am asking Dean Holmes, whom I consider an outstanding educator, to make an investigation, and after I get his report I will then decide what is to be done."

After the meeting, according to the "Traveller," President Baker declared that it was "all right with me if he wishes Dean Holmes to make a survey of the college."

The second position to which Dean Holmes was appointed is mainly advisory, as the group will probably draw up a report on the general subject of Unemployment Compensation for the benefit of the State board on that subject.