IMPORTANT ART PIECES, $52,000 TO FOGG MUSEUM

ADDITION TO FLORENTINE GROUP MADE BY MISS WHITNEY

Acquisition by the Fogg Museum of several major art works and of money gifts totaling more than $52,000 in the past year was announced by Edward W. Forbes, director of the museum, in his annual report to President Conant.

Among the most valued paintings received was the "Visitation" by El Greco, one of the most unusual examples of this artist's works, the gift of an anonymous donor. To the collection of Florentine paintings three 14th century canvases were added by Miss Margaret Whitney, of Milbrook, N. Y. the water color collection was increased by a large group painted by Dr. Denman W. Ross and some of his pupils, and by a late work of Winslow Homer.

From an anonymous donor, the museum received ten drawings by Luini, Perugino, Raphael, Rubens, Van Dyck, and other old masters from the Oppenheimer Sale of art works in London last summer. Outstanding in a large number of gifts of sculpture were a monumental Japanese figure of the 15th century donated by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss, of Washington, a 13th century Gothic tomb figure in wood from Spain, donated as a memorial to the late Professor A. Kingsley Porter, and a bronze statuette of a champion stallion from Herbert Haseltine, the sculptor.