MORE CONTROL PUT IN FIREARM REGULATIONS

BILODEAU CASE LAST SPRING MADE REFORM NEED APPARENT

Harvard's own embargo on arms and munitions became effective at the beginning of the College year, although it was lost in a welter of parietal regulations and other rules relating to College studies.

Parietal Regulation 31 new declares that a student wishing to keep firearms or ammunition in his room must obtain the permission of the Dean of Harvard College, or the Master (of his House). This permission will be granted and continued only provided the student conforms to all have governing firearms and to such conditions as the Dean or Master may impose."

The new law goes on to include the old ruling, which read simply that "no student shall discharge firearms within University precincts at any time."

Harvard Was Full Of Guns

With tragic deaths on nearby campuses bringing the subject into the news last year, local investigation revealed a tremendous number of lethal weapons in dormitory possession of Harvard students.

Popular belief was and is that only through luck has Harvard escaped serious injury through discharge of firearms. Some students kept what amounted to arsenals in their rooms.

Cases Of Shooting

In Dunster House there was the case of the upperclassman who periodically got drunk and exploded his shotguns all over the court. A pedestrian on Massachusetts Avenue one day felt his new felt hat lifted from his head. A bullet from some unknown source had passed clear through it, In indignation he demanded that somebody, anybody buy him a new hat.

Finally, last year on March 30 an enfilade of BB's that broke his windows and drove Thomas H. Bilodean '37 to cover in his Winthrop House room is believed to have convinced the University of the used for definite action. The new parietal rule represents the fruit of the University's decision.