Electric Chair Is Among Metal Debris Left Behind by Eliot House Graduate

Nathaniel B. Wales '37 Built Odd Contrivances Which He Left In Cellar

Nathaniel B. Wales '37, of New York, was not the man to leave college without leaving a trail behind him. For yesterday an investigation of the Eliot House collar revealed two unusual items, both clearly marked "N. B. Wales."

The first was an enormous electrical appliance. One janitor, in the know about the science of electricity, calls the work a "brain-tester," while another janitor, a sceptic, firmly believes the gadget is a do luxe Sing-Sing model of an electric chair.

Lets of Switches

Whatever it is, it is built of wood, with a central brass frame, and lots of cells, plates, switches, etc. The patient is supposed to sit in a small wooden seat and hanging over him is an imposing helmet replete with four coil-enclosed plates.

Four switches on one side are marked "electrostatic fields," while four opposing controls bear the sign "electromagnetic fields." The biggest and most business-like switch of all is marked "electrostatic distributor."

One janitor said that Wales was a quiet, likeable chap with a flare for working with his hands. He stated that Wales kept all his tools in his room at B-31. The other janitor was not quite so convinced that Wales was a likeable chap. "He told me to sit in the chair and have my brains tested, but I didn't like the look in his eye and I didn't like the looks of the machine," this one announced.

Indefinable

The second item is indefinable. It is a metal contrivance consisting of a large rounded case, a long shaft, and a few wheels. The first janitor says that it is a mowing machine while the sceptic claims it is the start of an automobile.