GUNNAR MYRDAL NAMED 1938 GODKIN LECTURER

To Talk Next May on System of Public Finance and Business Fluctuations; Native of Sweden

Gunnar Myrdal, noted European economist, professor of Economics at the University of Stockholm, and adviser to the Swedish government on economic matters, has been named the Godkin Lecturer here for the current year. He will deliver a series of lectures next May on "The System of Public Finance and the Business Fluctuations."

Professor Myrdal has written extensively on national economy, government finance, depressions and booms, the cost of living, and other topics in economic problems. He was born in 1898.

The lectures here according to Professor Myrdal, will deal with "the problem of keeping a national system of public finance sound and stable in the long run and yet flexible enough from year to year to meet the requirements of a financial policy adopted to form part of a general economic policy which aims at evening out business fluctuations."

The Godkin lectureship was endowed by friends of Edwin Godkin, founder and for many years editor of "The Nation" magazine, "as a memorial of his long and distinguished service to the country of his adoption." The lectures must be on "The essentials of free government and the duties of the citizen or upon some part of that subject." The endowment enables delivery and publication of these lectures each spring.