HARRIERS MEET GREEN, NEW HAMPSHIRE HERE

FRESHMEN TEAMS ALSO COMPETE AT 3:30 O'CLOCK

It was a day of rest yesterday for the Varsity and Freshman cross country teams for this afternoon they meet two strong fees in a triangular meet--Dartmouth and New Hampshire. Both races are scheduled to start at 3:30 o'clock on the Stadium side of the Charles.

Last year New Hampshire with a very powerful team defeated both Harvard and Dartmouth. In that meet New Hampshire kept her tally down to 37, Harvard rated 47, and the Green trailed with 52. Stewart Whitman of Dartmouth led the field to the tape, followed by George Quinn of New Hampshire. Both Whitman and Quinn are running for their respective teams this afternoon.

Harvard's first men to finish last year were Henry Marcy, fifth, and Hayden Channing, ninth. Following them came Roswell Brayton '39 in tenth, Bill Wright '38 in eleventh, Charles Worth '37 in twelfth, and John Erhard '38, this year's captain, in thirteenth.

Marcy and Channing have graduated, but otherwise the team remains fairly intact. Erhard, especially, has improved, so that now he heads the field. But Dartmouth's Whitman and New Hampshire's Quinn have undoubtedly likewise improved, so from the very start it is evident that the Crimson is not going to have a pushover.

Dartmouth Strong

Of the two invaders Coach Jaakko Mikkola places the Indians as easily the stronger. He is very impressed by their team, and is admittedly worried about today's test. Nor does Jaakko pass over New Hampshire lightly. There is Quinn to beat, and likewise another gentleman Arthur D. Bishop '39 who, excluding graduates, on the basis of last year's race is rated third to Whitman and Quinn.

Last Friday both the Harvard Varsity and Freshman teams opened the 1937 season with a meet with Holy Cross. The Varsity won its first meet 26 to 31. Outstanding in that race was the finishing 400 yards in which Captain Erhard of the Crimson and Sullivan of Holy Cross widened the gap between them and the rest of the field in an effort to nab first place. Erhard was beaten by a matter of two yards, Sullivan breaking the old record for the course by nearly six seconds.

Pen Tuttle

Third man in the Holl Cross meet was Harvard's Pen Tuttle '40. Pen shows prospects of being a star distant runner. A member of last year's crack Freshman track team Pen astonished all when he, never having run the distance before, ran away with the two mile run in the Yale meet last May.

Bill Wright '38, Roswell Brayton, Francis Rivinus, and Frank Porter hope to help the Crimson to rise and shine this afternoon, having finished in that order last Friday.

As Tuttle is a noteworthy addition to the Harvard Varsity this year, so are Hawkes and Wonson of Dartmouth potentialities to their team. Dick Hawkes set a new record against the Harvard Freshmen last year, and his teammate, Harold S. Wonson, folowed him in, Tuttle finishing third.

Freshmen the Unknown

Nothing is known about the visiting Freshman teams. Both teams will undoubtedly have something. The Crimson 1941 harriers have two good men in Robert B. Nichols and Charles H. Oldfather, Rolla Campbell, former Exeter half-miler, is improving rapidly, and Jaakko has his eye on him not only as a cross country man but as a track man too