Harvard Leads Dartmouth 29 Games to 11 in Statistics Of Encounters Since Series Commenced in Pre-war Period

Green Shows Advantage In Contests Played After World War Lapse

A glance at former Dartmouth scores reveals that Harvard has won 29 games, Dartmouth 11, and 3 were tied. But such an analysis would be highly misleading if used as a basis on which to place bets tomorrow.

More accurate would be statistics taken from the unbroken series of post-war games which started in 1922. Of these one was a tie, five went Crimson and eight green. Or perhaps even more revealing is the fact that the Indians have won the last three as follows: 1934, 10-0; 1935, 14-6; and last year 26-7. The 1933 game was a 7-7 affair and it was not until we go back five years to 1932 do we find a Harvard victory.

First Green Score 1901.

The H-D series started in 1882, and 16 games were played before Dartmouth was able to score a point. Then, in 1901, the first "Big Green" team ever to cross the Crimson goal line did so by means of a blocked punt which was recovered by Morse in the end zone.

From that year on, the Hanoverian invasions were no longer the early season sinecures they formerly were. Harvard won the following year, but it was only by a desperate last quarter battle. With only five minutes to go Dartmouth was leading 6-5 when the home eleven began to click to the tune of two quick touchdowns.

First Green Win 1903

Then came the dedicatory ceremonies of the now Harvard Stadium in 1903, a ceremony in which the Dartmouth football squad was asked to participate. But the New Hampshire Indians were not on their best guest behavior, however, and tomahawked their hosts with great glee by taking their first victory of the series. No other Hanover eleven can over hope to earn as celebrated a triumph unless it be the one which broke the Yale Bowl jinx. The score of this initial Green success was 11-0.

Except for the Dartmouth victory in 1907, matters had a definite Crimson hue until the end of the pre-war crop of games, although there were no walkovers reminiscent of the 19th Century scores. Charley Brickley's toe decided the 3-0 struggle in 1912, the last game before a ten year break in football relations between the two colleges.

Not a Pretty Story

Those who witnessed the events leading up to that schism and have since seen H-D relations welded together once more until they have become stronger than ever don't like to recall the incident, and they are as reticent to speak of it as are centemporary war veterans of the battles in which they took part. So loathe are graduates of both colleges to recall the break that it is difficult to get particulars of the story, and judging from their expressions when asked, it is probably just as well.

First score in the new series which started with a Crimson 12-2 victory in 1922 is accredited so Charley Buell. Buell opened the scoring as Brickley had closed it, with a field goal from the 18 yard line. A Dartmouth back was later to eclipse this feat by kicking the longest goal in the series, a 48 yard placement.

Enter Blaik

Earl Blaik's first Hanover product gave warning of a new era by a trouncing 10-0 victory in 1934, and he has not lost to Harvard since.

Last fall Blaik celebrated his third win to the tune of 26-7 with a team that had things pretty much its own way. Of his starting eleven, end Davis and backs Hollingworth and MacLeod will start tomorrow. On the Harvard team, Nee and Kevorkian at tackles, Green at left end, Struck at fullback, and Wilson then at quarterback, now at center, will be starting their second Dartmouth game. Others who played were: Jameson, Captain Allen who substituted for Charlie Kessler, Winter, Boston, Oakes, Harding, and Roberts who started at right half.

Statistics of this game show that Harvard was badly outplayed. They made 10 first downs to Dartmouth's 15, 142 yards rushing to 333, and lost 41 to Dartmouth's 11.

Crimson Weak

The Crimson's passing defense was woefully weak, with Hollingworth and MacLeod alternating at opposite ends of sucessful spirals into Harvard's secondary. And although the home team flashed an offensive drive in the first period, it petered out shortly after the midfield marker had been passed.

Harvard never seriously threatoned the Green goal until their score late in the final period. This score came as the result of two breaks, first when Boston recovered a Green fumble and again on the next play when Oakes' long pass was knocked into the hands of Ben Smith by the Dartmouth secondary on the six.

Less than a minute remained to play, and a badly frightened Dartmouth third team tried to avoid ignominy by stalling for time, rushing over the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped in an effort to use up the seconds. Each time the referee would impose a penalty of half way to the goal line--a matter of feet. Things quieted down, however, in time for Oakes to plunge over tackle for the score. Harding kicked the point and the game ended on the play after the kick-off.CHARLES C. BUELL '23 Downed Dartmouth