RUSSELL RETURNS TO SERVICE AFTER INJURY

RICK HEDBLOM PRESSES HARD TO GAIN BERTH

By Donald S. Straue

With Tim Russell's arrival to the squad in the full capacity of able-bodied center, the Varsity's Jack-of-all-Trades, Cliff Wilson, was moved from center to left guard yesterday afternoon. This is the position to which he was originally moved at the start of the season from his last fall's post of blocking back, but with Russell's injury in a pre-season game, he stepped one place to the right to fill the gap.

Russell gained his first major game experience against Princeton last fall, pinch-hitting for Bobby Jones who was out with an injury. But a starting role against Princeton this Saturday is by no means assured him, and the chief obstacle in his way is his classmate, Rick Hedblom. Ever since their Freshman year, these two have been fighting it out at the trigger post. Russell has had the edge thus far in their careers but while he was benched this season, his rival has been storing up some valuable experience and acquitting himself well whenever given the opportunity. In fact right now it looks as though Hedblom may be leading in the center stakes. The scrimmages this week will decide.

Wilson's Blocking Needed

Dick Harlow was especially anxious to move Wilson to guard as soon as possible because of his down-the-field blocking experience gained in the backfield, not because there has been any marked weakness at left guard. Joe Nee has proven himself in every department of the game and will probably alternate with rather than substitute for Wilson.

All the A team, with the exception of Wilson and Macdonald, were excused from practice yesterday afternoon. Wilson reported to brush up on his guard assignments and Macdonald spent a large part of the practice in an intensive punting drill.