APPLICATIONS FOR RHODES AWARD ARE DUE BEFORE NOV. 6

Awarded for Literary, Scholastic, and Moral Qualities; Athletics Also Count Heavily

Undergraduates who are competing for Rhodes Scholarships this year must file their applications by Saturday, November 6, and are reminded in a communication from the Dean's office that the applications are void on that date if they have not received the endorsement of this University.

Requests for letters of recommendation must be made to University authorities before Saturday, Octomber 28.

The scholarships are awarded by the will of Cecil John Rhodes, who died in 1902 after establishing the British Empire throughout South Africa, and after whom the Colony of Rhodesia was named. He attended Oxford University for periods broken by poor health between 1872 and 1878, when he obtained his degree.

32 From United States

His will perpetuates his desire for the peace and union of mankind by founding about 175 annual scholarships from the Dominions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, several colonies, Germany and the United States. At present there are 32 students selected from the United States, four from each of eight groups of contiguous states.

Candidates may apply from either their home state or from Masachusetts, but no more than five applications are taken from any one state.

Good For Two Years

The Scholarships are good for two years with an annual stipend of 400 pounds.

Blanks can be obtained from Professor Francis O. Matthiessen, Committee Secretary for Massachusetts, to whom they must later be sent, at Eliot House N-21. Representatives in other Houses are: Adams--Mr. Richard B. Schlatter; Dunster--Prof. Edward S. Mason; Kirkland--Prof. Edward A. Whitney; Leverett--Prof. William C. Greene; Lowell--Mr. Spencer D. Pollard; Winthrop--Mr. Dana Durand.

To qualify, an applicant must be an American male citizen, unmarried, between the ages of 19 and 25 on October 1, 1938, and must have completed his Sophomore year.

According to Rhodes' will "My desire being that the students who shall be elected to the scholarships shall not merely bookworms, I direct that in the election of a student regard shall be had to (1) his literary and scholastic attainments, (2) his fondness for and success in manly outdoor sports . . . . (3) his qualities of manhood, truth, courage, devotion to duty . . . . . kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship, and (4) his exhibition of moral force of character and of instincts to lead and take an interests in his schoolmates."

"To Encourage Friendship"

Referring to his inclusion of American students, he says, "I also desire to encourage and foster an appreciation of the advantages which I implicity believe will result from the union of the English speaking people throughout the world, and to encourage in the students from the United States of North American scholarships to be established for the reason above given at the University of Oxford under this my will, an attachment to the country from which they have sprung, but without, I hope, withdrawing them or their sympathies from the land of their adoption or birth.