GOLDSTEIN, SPEARS NEW DIRECTORS OF LEGAL AID BUREAU

Assistance in Civil Cases Offered to Cambridge Needy -- Increase Staff To Thirty-Three

Milton I. Goldstein 2L, of St. Louis, and Frank H. Spears, Jr. 21, of Salem, Oregon, have been elected directors of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, it was announced today by Loring P. Jordan, Jr. 3L, of Wakefield, Mass. president of the Bureau. John R. Quine 8L, of Akron, Ohio, was elected secretary.

At the same time it was stated that the Bureau, which offers free legal assistance in civil cases to the needy of Cambridge and vicinity, will increase its permanent staff from 24 to 33 men. As a part of the expansion policy, opportunity to work at the Bureau will be extended to third year students with an average of 65 or better in their Law School classes.

The Legal Aid Bureau resumed operations under the supervision of the Boston Legal Aid Society last March, after its discontinuation in 1935 by the student board of directors. This action was taken on the advice of the Dean and Faculty of the Law School who felt that legislative changes by the Massachusetts General Court in 1935, restricting the legal activities of persons not members of the Massachusetts Bar, had cast doubt on the legality of the student's bureau's work.

Prior to its closing, the Bureau had existed for 21 years, giving free advice in civil matters to annual average of 200 to 1200 persons. Resumption of the charity work was approved by the University on the condition that, "A practicing attorney shall be employed who shall be employed to supervise the work of all student members of the Bureau, who shall make all appearances in court on behalf of clients of the Bureau, and who shall approve in advance all advice given to the clients of the Bureau."

During the summer the Bureau moved its office from Gannett House to Kendall House to make way for construction of the new Littauer School of Public Administration. Over 150 cases of all kinds were handled by the staff this summer.