Four Schools Played Him

SPOTLIGHTER

There was once a time when the football week-end tapeed with tomato juice. Sunday morning quarterbacks and the spotpages. Now professional football prolongs the week-end Sunday afternoon. With the subway trade, it really begins For this, Dr. Harry W. March of New York is responsible. parsuaded Timothy J. Mara to finance the first big-league pro football team--the Giants of New York. That was in 1925.

Harry March once liked football go much that he sample under assumed names at four schools, Ohio State, Oberlin, Kenyen College, and Mount Union College. He gave his first name at Columbian (now George Washington University) and took and M.D. in 1901. Unlike many tramp football stars, Dr. March had a sharp and restless mind. He established a good medical practice, but kept his thoughts in the pigskin world by writing sport stories. The idea of writing he received for Authors Channing Pollack and Don Marquis, his Columbia roommates.

The idea of professional football he may have carried three the years from one afternoon when, aged 19, he received $1000 playing in a touch contest between Latroha and Jeanectte. Professional football has grown beyond his expectations in larger cities. The better to be the center of this growth, March founded the American pro league last year. He hope see a griditon world series some day--the established National League versus the stery American.