CRIMSON DEBATERS DIVIDE DECISIONS

Council Also Argues on Neutrality Policy With Yale on Radio Hook-Up In Non-Decision Meet

In three Armistice Day debates, the Debating Council gained an even split. Appropriately the discussions were on the question of American neutrality.

Defending the affirmative side of the subject: "Resolved: That this House approves the foreign policy of the present Administration," the Crimson debaters argued in a non-decision discussion over an Eastern radio network yesterday afternoon with a Yale team.

Carried By 11 Radio Stations

The program originated in the Boston station WAAB, and was carried by ten other stations in New England. Richard W. Sullivan '38, William W. Hancock '38, and Lawrence F. Ebb '39 made up the Harvard team.

At New Haven the Crimson representatives, Cecil D. Elfenbein '38, Victor Vaughan '40, and F. Welch Peel '39, lost a 2-1 decision by the judges on the negative side before 100 listeners. The chief arguments hinged on a denouncement of President Roosevelt for partisanship against Japan.

Win At Amherst

Against Amherst a third team composed of Edwin C. Hoyt, Jr. '38, and J. Geoffrey Levin '39 successfully upheld the proposition: "That the Neutrality Act should be immediately applied in the Sino-Japanese situation." On the preceding evening this same pair lost the decision on the identical subject to the Williams debaters at Williamstown.

During the week the Debating Council has also met teams from Holy Cross, Radcliffe, and Brown. This extensive series of debates is a part of the proposed enlargement of debating activities to be culminated by a six weeks tour next February and March.

The Debating Council has frequently taken to the air in the past. Last season it opposed the Cambridge University, England, in a trans-Atlantic debate.