PICTORIAL EDUCATION

Last year the Harvard Film Society began a highly successful existence, which is being continued this scholastic session, and which should present a very interesting program. From the 14th of December through the 1st of March a series of films in six different performances will be given on the history and development of the motion pictures, from artistic as well as technical angles, in Germany and France. This historical survey will begin with the earliest continental pictures done around 1895, and going right up until the present day.

These films are a logical sequence to the excellent series of American motion pictures that were presented by the energetic Film Society last year, and they were so popular both in the afternoon and evening showings, that many more applied for membership in the Society than could be contained in the Geographical Building, where they were given.

These films meet a very definite educational need in the University at large, besides being first-class entertainment, because they are instructive in that they present the best in motion picture art for any given period, and show the development of the technique and setting of the industry in logical and instructive sequence. The Film Society may well be proud of its achievements if it repeats its successes of last season.