Crimson Reigns as Favorite Over Army Despite Injuries to Key Backfield Men

Soldiers Stage Comeback After Yale Game Slump, but Are Now at Peak Once More

WEST POINT--At the opening of the 1937 season, the job confronting Coach Davidson of Army was to find capable replacements for five first string linemen and the brilliant triple-threat Monk Meyer.

This was no easy task. But the performance of the team against Clemson and Columbia showed how well it had been done, as Army triumphed 21-6 and 21-18. The team slumped against Yale to lose 15-7, but came back a week later to overwhelm Washington University of St. Louis 46-7, and went on to down Virginia Military Institute 20-7.

Army's best showings in the line have been made by Hartline at center, Blanchard at tackle, and Kobes and Sullivan at ends. Captain Isbell and Mather, regular tackles as the season opened, have been held back by injuries, but are now ready for action and the Army line will be at full strength against Harvard.

In the backfield, the play of Craig, Schwenk, Wilson, and Long has featured in every game, Craig and Wilson sharing triple-threat honors equally. Schwenk has shown marked improvement as a line plunger, and Long is very dangerous on sweeps and passes.

Army uses the single-wing system and depends more on power and passes than on deception.