Panthers Did Not Go On Strike, Only Voted Down Bowl Bid, Says Pitt News

Move Seen as Endorsement of New Hagan Plan for Deflation Of Athletics

PITTSBURGH, Dec. 2--The University of Pittsburgh football squad erroneously reported as on "sitdown strike." Members of the Varsity squad decided Saturday night on way back from Durham, N.C., where Duke was defeated Saturday that they would vote down any proposition of post season game. When, on Monday morning, they were asked to vote, they decided against participation.

When interviewed, Captain John Michelson said, "We are tired. The long, ten-game schedule is enough." Marshall Goldberg, All-American halfback, said, "I must finish a mid-term paper, make up some quizzes, and hit the books."

Other members of the squad explained that they would rather be at their homes for the Christmas holidays, that they had jobs in post offices and stores during the holidays to help pay college expenses.

All 31 players who voted said that they made no overtures, did not "dicker" concerning terms of accepting post season game. Frank Souchak, star end, said, "We simply don't want to play the game--isn't that enough?"

University officials explained that the decision to play or not to play is entirely in the hands of the team members and that they are satisfied with the result. A number of Faculty members interviewed were all pleased that the men voted down post season competition. Athletic officials saw in the move endorsement of the Hagan Plan, in operation since last July, whereby athletics have been somewhat deflated.