EIGHT UNIVERSITIES DISCUSS NEUTRALITY

ROOSEVELT, STANDLEY, SWING, AND VILLARD ATTEND

A Randle Elliot 3G and William Welch '38, will represent Harvard when 16 delegates from leading American universities meet in New York tomorrow to discuss "American Neutrality Policy" and "Ways of Staying Out of War" under the sponsorship of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Selected by a Faculty committee headed by Bruce C. Hopper '24 assistant professor of Government, they will join men from Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, North Carolina, Princeton, Wisconsin and Yale, and distinguished authorities on foreign policy for the two day session.

Three Sessions

Purpose of the Conference is, according to the announcement, to give university men a factual knowledge of a problem which "will remain to torment the nation for years to come," and also to supplement this theoretical information by contact with "older men who know the problem from direct experience." The discussions "have a singlehearted aim: to analyze all major policies and see what each entails."

The business of the Conference will be conducted in three sessions. The first, tomorrow afternoon, will take up the present Neutrality Act and relate its provisions to the neutrality situation during the years 1914-1917. On Friday morning, the psychological and economic aspects of the question will be dealt with.

Far-East

Discussion of the position of American in the Far-East will take place at a luncheon Friday noon. Social headquarters of the Conference will be the Harvard Club of New York, and a dinner is scheduled there for tomorrow night.

Authorities who have agreed to attend the meetings and take part in the discussions are: Joseph C. Green, of the Department of State; Russell C. Lefling-well, member of J. P. Morgan and Company; Frank L. Polk, acting Secretary of State 1918-19; Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., '09, author and politician; William H. Standley, former chief of Naval Operations; Raymond Gram Swing, correspondent in Berlin during the War; and Oswald Garrison Villard '93, former editor of the Nation.