Annual H - Y - P Conference on Public Affairs Starts Today With 158 Guests

First Sessions of Five Round Tables Will Meet in Faculty Club

With 158 participants the second annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton Conference on Public Affairs will start today. Speakers, undergraduate delegates, faculty representatives, and guests began arriving at 7:45 o'clock this morning and will continue to register at the Crimson Building until lunch time.

Begins at Lunch

First meeting will be a 1 o'clock luncheon at the Varsity Club, at which the Conference will be opened with an address by the Honorable Leverett Saltonstall '14, former Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Mr. Saltonstall will speak on an unannounced subject relating to "The Role of Government in the National Economy"--the title of this year's Conference. The luncheon will be attended by approximately 130 people and will break up in time for the meeting to adjourn to the Faculty Club where the first sessions of the five round tables will be held.

Round Tables

These tables are: I, "The Maintenance of Employment," II, "The Regulation of Competitive Enterprises," III, "The Control of Currency and Credit," IV, "The Role of the States," and V, "Federal Revenue and Expenditure." The sessions this afternoon will not be open to the public and are to be continued with the same personnel tomorrow morning at 9:30 o'clock. Only open meeting will be the plenary session tomorrow afternoon at 5 o'clock in Emerson D at which reports on the discussions at each table will be submitted and a final summary will be made by Adolph A. Berle '13, City Chamberlain of New York.

Banquet Tonight

Folowing the round table discussions this afternoon, a reception will be held at the Crimson Building at 7 o'clock.

President Conant, who was making a speaking tour in the West, cut it short in order to return to Cambridge in time for the Conference and all participants will gather at a banquet in Adams House this evening to hear him and William L. Ransom, Ex-President of the American Bar Association, and Isador Lubin, Commissioner of Labor Statistics of the United States Department of Labor give addresses.