RECENT $150,000 GIFT FOR BIBLE STUDY MAY INVOLVE LEGAL FIGHT

GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT WILL GET $50,000 OF FUND

What is probably the greatest inheritance problem in many years confronts the President and Fellows of the College concerning the will of Mrs. Marcella Upham, wife of Thomas E. Upham '68, it was learned today.

Ambiguity in the terms of the testament, filed Thursday with the Register of Probate, concerns the allotment for theological students of part of a $200,000 gift to the University.

Divided into two parts, the bequest to the College amounts to $150,000 for the Divinity School, $50,000 for students of public administration.

The smaller sum is to be taken over for scholarship by the Department of Government of concentrators "preparing to serve our country in public offices of trust and responsibility in the gift of the people." But question arises as to the disposal of the $150,000 endowment, control of which is vested in the University authorities. Designated to be known as the Thomas E. Upham, Class of 1868 Fund, it is to be paid to the "Episcopal Divinity School of Harvard" to insure stipends for students of American parentage.

Since the Episcopal Theological School is not legally a part of the University, controversy has sprung up as to whether the $150,000 should pass to the Episcopal students at the Harvard Divinity School. Henry B. Washburn, Dean of the Theological School, expressed his ignorance of the entire affair, predicting difficulties in its settlement.