DUPONT CO. INCREASES FELLOWSHIPS IN '37-'38

Harvard One of Research Centers for Program of Investigation in Field Of Organic Chemistry

E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Company has decided to increase the number of fellowships it awards annually to six post-doctorate fellowships and eighteen post-graduate fellowships and eighteen post-graduate fellowships for the academic year 1937-38. This action has been taken because of the success of the plan in encouraging and developing organic chemical research. These fellowships, which will be located at eighteen leading universities and colleges including Harvard, are maintained to encourage more promising students in research work in the field of chemistry.

The purpose of the du Pont Fellowship Plan is primarily to promote the advancement of science and the scientific training of young men, and to co-operate with the educational institutions in their efforts to carry on advanced research work. The du Pont fellowships differ from the usual industrial fellowships in that they are not restricted to research on subjects directly connected with the du Pont products. Experience has proved that the broad purpose of the plan is best served by permitting the colleges to select the beneficiary of the fellowship and the research subject as well.

An appropriation of $26,500 has been made for the fellowships for the year 1937-38 to be allocated as follows: $13,000 for six post-doctorates fellowships at $2,000 each, with $1,000 to cover the cost of equipment needed in the work of this group, and $13,000 for eighteen post-graduate fellowships at $750 each.

The du Pont Fellowship Plan was inaugurated by the du Pont Company in 1918. In that year, seventeen fellowships with an average stipend of $750 were made available to sixteen universities for research chemistry.