Collections and Critiques

Notable Exhibitions Brought to Harvard by Fogg Art Museum in 1936

Appropriately in keeping with the Massachusetts Bay Tercentenary celebrations throughout the state the Treasure Room at Widener Library is now featuring an exhibition of prints and documents dealing with the early history of the University. Among the more interesting of the displays are the original charter granted to the College and the only book of John Harvard's library which survived the fire of 1764.

A major part of the collection of engravings and paintings showing the early stages in the development of Harvard is a series of water colors done by Jonathan Fisher, graduated in the class of 1792. These paintings, drawn during the period from 1794-98, deal with the familiar Yard buildings--Hollis, Harvard, and Massachusetts. A perspective view of Hollis "humbly presented to the governors of Harvard by their dutiful pupil Jonathan Fisher" in September 1794 is a feature of this series.

Several engravings present College scenes preceding those of Fisher while one stained and yellowed "plan of Cambridge" antedates the founding of Harvard. Of these early prints of the Colleges at Cambridge, the Massachusetts one is of particular interest in that there is represented in the foreground what is evidently a cricket match, a sign of the English influence which played so important a role during the formative period of the University. An engraving of a "birdseye view of Harvard. America's first and greatest University" gives an accurate and detailed panorama of the Yard-which summarizes the early period in the growth of the College.

Among the documents pertinent to the beginnings of Harvard which are on display, that of most immediate interest is probably the Charter. Protected from the bright glare of modern electric lamps by a heavy cloth, the precious parchment reposes safely beneath locked show cases. But by simply folding back this covering the curious may inspect as they will this aged treasure of the College as it lies in its gilt frame behind crimson curtains. It is the original charter of 1650 granted by the General Court of the Colony and signed by the Governor, Thomas Dudley. "The Christian Warfare against the Devil World and Flesh," sole survivor of John Harvard's library, is another prized possession of the treasure room now on exhibition. Beside this volume are Bibles which belonged to President Dunster, first head of the College, 1640-1654. One of them contains his signature.

Contemporary publications tell of early progress at Cambridge in Massachusetts. There is a copy of the first printed account of Harvard published at London in 1643. A news item dated January 25, 1764 describes the great fire which destroyed Harvard Hall, "only one of our ancient buildings which still remained, and the repository of our most valuable treasures", the Public Library, and the Philosophical Apparatus. Among the authentic documents there is a letter from Benjamin Franklin to Thomas Hancock written September 11, 1755 proposing a general subscription for the benefit of the Library, and enclosing his own subscription of four pistoles.

The Widener treasurer room is open daily to members of the University and the general public.