Mermen Outrace Penn; Captain Gray Paces Crimson Quintet Beating Blue

Feslermen Fight Off Yale, 33-29 to Gain Second Position in League

By virtue of their 33 to 29 victory over Yale Saturday, the Crimson hoopsters moved into undisputed possesion of second place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League. Although trailing at the end of the first half, 21 to 18, Wes Fesler's men rallied early in the second period to gain their sixth league victory.

Again showing top form, Captain Bill Gray led the scoring with 11 points. Scoring three field goals and two free throws Red Lowman added eight points to his season's total. Yale's high-scorer, Bob Beckwith, was held to ten tallies.

With the lead changing hands ten times, the game was filled with excitment for the crowd of 3000 spectators. Despite the Crimson's opening scoring streak, Yale forged slowly ahead to lead by three points at the half. But with the opening of the second period, Gray dropped a field goal and then sunk a penalty shot to tie the score at 21 all.

Gradually the Crimson five increased the lead and then using superior reach, kept possession of the ball off the backboard and on the tip-offs. In the closing minutes of play Captain Miles dropped one from the side of the court, but Red Lowman stopped the attempted Blue rally with a looper from the middle.