PACKARD NAMES TODAY ON LEE WADE ENTRIES

Upperclassmen Required to Prepare Passages for Contest in Speaking to Be Held This Month

Registration in the annual Lee Wade and Boylston Elocution Contest, long a traditional proving ground for aspiring Patrick Henrys, must be completed today by all applicants. Upperclassmen desirous of entering the contest must submit passages in English, Greek, or Latin to Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '29, assistant professor of Public Speaking.

One hundred and twenty years ago the institution was established by Ward N. Boylston in memory of his uncle, Nicholas Boylston. It enjoys the honor of being the third oldest competition of the University, offering as prizes two $35 awards. In 1915 Dr. Francis H. Wade added to the fund an additional prize of $50 in memory of his son, Lee Wade 2nd '14.

The roll of Boylston prize winners contains the names of numerous famous graduates. George Santayana '86 performed the unparalleled feat of winning awards for the recitation of both Latin and Greek passages, giving a selection from Virgil's "Aeneid" in his Junior year and one from Homer's "IIiad" as a Senior H. V. Kaltenborn '09 took first place in his Senior year. George R. Agassiz '84 and Arthur C. Train '96 are also among the eminent prize winners.

In the elimination to be held Monday, March 15, ten contestants will be chosen to compote in the finals which take place Wednesday, March 31, in Paine Hall.