NEW OFFICERS ELECTED BY DEBATING COUNCIL

Yardlings Debate on Sit-Down Strikes With Boston Latin School Tomorrow Night in Boston

Meeting Wednesday night at Adams House, the Debating Council elected a new president, vice-president, secretary, and created the new office of Secretary for Public Information. After the election, matters of policy of fundamental importance were discussed.

William W. Hancock '38 of Lacon, Illinois and Eliot House was elected president, succeeding Thomas W. Stephenson '37. Robert W. Bean '39 of Council Bruffs, Iowa and Dunster House was elected vice-president, succeeding W. Tucker Dean '37. Bean is a former president of the Freshman Debating Team. Lawrence F. Ebb '39 of Dorcehester and Lowell House was elected secretary, succeeding John A. Sullivan '38. Fred W. Peel '39 of Danville, Kentucky and Dunster House was elected to the new post of Secretary for Public Information.

Members of the Council discussed, with considerable activity, the proposed new policy of dividing future work of the Council into two definite groups. The first of these groups will include debates with many small college and local organizations. Also, radio debates will be scheduled. The function of the second group will be to handle the few major intercollegiate debates in such a way that these will be of increasing importance in the future.

The object of the policy, as applied to the first group, will be to enable Council members to participate in more contests. As applied to the second group, the new policy will attempt to stress the importance of a few major debates, which will be prepared for an orderly fashion. The function, in part, of the Secretary for Public Information will be to stimulate undergraduate interest in intercollegiate debating.

Freshmen Debate Tomorrow

"Resolved: That the sit-down strike should be reorganized as a legitimate bargaining agency for labor," will be the subject when the Yardling team meets Boston Latin School tomorrow in Boston. Garfield H. Horn, Louis Hariz, and Jacob J. Kaplan will speak for the Crimson team.