PROFESSORSHIP IN HONOR OF POUND TO BE ENDOWED SOON

Smith in Charge of Collection of Fund by Graduate Group; Chair May Be Filled by September

Roscoe Pound, Dean-emeritus of the Law School and Carter Professor of Jurisprudence will be honored by the creation of a new chair in the Law School, it was learned from authoritative sources last night.

The new professorship, which will be named after Dean Pound, will be created by a fund collected by the Harvard Law Alumni Association, under the supervision of Reginald Heber Smith, secretary-treasurer of the Association.

The Association has been conducting a drive for the money for some time, it was thought, but it is not definitely known whether a sufficient amount has been raised as yet to endow a chair.

Lamont Gift

However, some idea of the sum necessary can be had when it is remembered that Thomas W. Lamont, who endowed the first of the "Roving professorships" last year, gave $500,000 to the University. A sum of between a quarter and a half million dollars will therefore be necessary to fill the chair honoring Dean Pound.

Pound, vacationing in the Orient, will return to Cambridge next September. No comment was forthcoming from University officials on the creation of the new professorship, nor any possible occupant of the new chair.

It is thought extremely probable that the fund will endow a chair dealing with the history of the Common Law, or some related subject, since that has been Dean Pound's speciality. It is also considered likely that if a sufficient fund can be raised in time, the first occupant of the new chair will assume his duties in September.