Regional Planning School Will Get Under Way in September

Demand for Men Trained Does Exceed Supply; No Graduate Without Employment

Reorganizing under the Graduate School of Design, the School of Regional Planning will open its doors for instruction next fall, Dean Joseph Hudnut announced today in his annual report. The department ceased teaching last June when the Rockefeller Foundation's annual grant, three quarters of its income, was discontinued.

"More than ever before the demand for men trained in the Harvard School of City Planning has been much greater than the supply." Dean Hudnut states, and reports that no graduate in this field has been without employment for long. He stresses the point that in the present shift from private to public construction, the broad social background which the students receive, equips them better than mere training in physical planning.

Fewer and Larger Stipend

In line with the new policy in the College of granting fuller scholarships to men of exceptional ability, the School will award fewer and larger stipends. They will range in size from $200 to a maximum of $1,200, adjusted to the individual student's needs.

A plan has been developed for much closer co-operation between the department and the Divisions of Economics and Government in an effort to extend the usefulness of the work. Public officials have in the past expressed interest in the city planning and landscape architecture training of the School, and when last year's reduced budget forced curtailment of its operations, letters urging its continuance were received from President Roosevelt and ex-President Hoover.

One Year Course

The proportion of jobs to graduates last year was two to one, and several were employed on Federal projects such as the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Resettlement Bureau. The course takes one year and as yet no degree has been given. There were eleven students in the last session.