Winthrop Described for Prospective House Inhabitants in Fifth Special Article On Different Dormitory Blessings

This is the fifth of a series of articles on the Houses written by House Committee Chairmen for the benefit of Freshmen planning to enter Houses. The articles are printed in the order they are received.

By Chester A. Macarthur, Chairman, Winthrop House Committee

With the House Plan just completing its seventh year, it is only natural that each House should begin to exhibit certain characteristics, certain traditions, that serve to distinguish it from the other Houses. All of the traditions of Winthrop are based on the democratic spirit of the entire House, which has been a natural development due to the popularity of the House Master, Dr. Ronald M. Ferry, and the congenial staff of tutors headed by Dr. Halfdan Gregerben. Dr. Ferry knows each man in the House by name. It would be the idle coast of a partisan observer to say that Winthrop has been blessed from birth with that intangible quality known as House spirit, a consciousness of separate unity, which of late, has come to characterize the whole House system more than ever before.

To those members of the Class of 1940 who wish to join a House with a gilded spire, or set of wild Russian bells, Winthrop regrets that it has nothing to offer, other than rooms which overlook all the gilded spires of the town, and which are within earshot of the aforementioned wells. The lack of architectural elegance, however, is more than compensated for the group of congenial undergraduates who live in the two fine Georgian buildings, Gore and Standish Halls. It is generally believed that lack of cerise of mauve colored tower has helped to poster the democratic make-up of the House. Instead of referring to Winthrop in the House with the "so-and-so" colored dome, the House has come to be identified with the men who live there.

Last year Winthrop was lampooned as being the haven of the athlete. Although is true that Winthrop is well represented on all of the Varsity teams (a fact of which we are justly proud), all activities of the college are represented. With goodly share of Detur students, the scholarship average of the House is high, and there is a large group on the college publications staffs.

Freshman have always been advised to apply for residence in those Houses which are well-equipped with tutors in we field of concentration which the appetent has chosen. This is more than a latter of mere convenience for tutorial conferences. Informal contacts at luncheon and dinner are invaluable from the tutor's and the tutee's standpoint, in that they provide a continuity that would be otherwise lacking if the man had to do tutorial work under an instructor who had no affiliations with the House. In regard to the tutorial situation, Winthrop is especially well represented in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Government, and History.

The House Library, with its sleep-provoking overstuffed feather chairs, has always proved to be a popular rendezvous for the men of Winthrop. The collection of books, which has been appreciably enlarged this year, under the direction of Ed Fox '35, the Head Librarian, more than adequately covers the well-known fields of concentration, and is quite competent in many of the lesser known fields. The collection of symphony records has been a most popular department of the library, and this year through an appropriation by the House Committee several new symphonies have been added to the collection.

To those members of the Class of 1940 who reluctantly leave the fine pool room in the Union, Winthrop presents an appeal in the form of a game room, which in addition to the inevitable ping-pong table, boasts a pool table (one, count 'em, one.) It is true, that the present cues are in various states of degeneration, but there is a movement on foot to replace these with new ones, and when the time comes for the members of the Class of '40 to descend upon the Houses, this department ought to be in ship shape.

Although it would be unfair to the men in the House to say that they live to eat, rather than eat to live; it cannot be denied that the Winthrop House Dining Hall is popularly elected as that part of the House "most likely to succeed." Every man in the House will agree that the popularity of the dining hall can be attributed to Mrs. De Pinto, the Head Waitress. The academic year is hardly launched before Mrs. "Dee" knows the names of all "her boys." Her charming smile and friendly word has brightened up many a luncheon or dinner which might have been just another meal. When the House Football Trophy left the Winthrop Dining Hall last fall, for the first time in five years, no one missed it more than Mrs. "Dee." She had come to look upon it as a permanent part of her dining hall, and the Winthrops are determined to bring it back to Winthrop House and Mrs. "Dee" next fall.

As far as geographical locations are concerned, Winthrop has perhaps the most desirable position along the Charles. This becomes quite an attractive feature when you consider the number of wherries that capsize in front of your door of a fine afternoon; not to mention the intricate manoeuvres of the lads and lasses of Cambridge as they tandem along the river walk.

In the matter of House Plays, which have come to be traditional in each of the Houses, Winthrop has gone in for the less robust type of production. In fact, the plays have always been of a more or less delicate nature, which do not require the "Men Only" sign. This year's production, "East Lynne" will be given during the first week in April.

The fact that Winthrop House had more applications than any other House last year speaks for itself. To the men of the Class of '40 we say (with an apologia to Packard Motors) "Ask the man who lives there."