STUDENT COUNCIL BACKS BASKETBALL FOR MAJOR SPORT

Student Council Urges Court Game Be Put on Par With Football, Baseball, Hockey, Track, and Crew

Meeting in University Hall last night the Student Council accepted unanimously the often brought recommendation that basketball be officially recognized as one of Harvard's major sports. A letter containing the recommendation will be sent immediately to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.

Increasing spectator interest, undergraduate participation, gate receipts newspaper publicity, improved team play, and entry into the Eastern Intercollegiate League have been among the factors making for continued agitation in favor of the proposition. In all these respects the court game now ranks well up beside the present five majors, football, hockey, baseball, crew and track.

When Yale last month made basketball a major sport Harvard was left as the only campus in the Eastern circuit where hoopsters are wearing minor letters. Only New England still lags a little behind the rest of the country in their popular acclaim.