Rogers and Morse, Oldest University Graduates, Die in Past Two Days

Rogers At 98 Was Oldest in Years While Morse '60 Oldest in Regard to Class

Within 36 hours of each other the University's two oldest graduates passed away. On Saturday, 97 year old John T. Morse, Jr. '60, who held the distinction of being the oldest graduate in point of class, died and was followed yesterday morning by Henry M. Rogers '62, the oldest graduate in years, who celebrated his ninety-eight birthday last February.

With the death of Morse and Rogers, John K. Browne '69 becomes the oldest graduate in years at 93, while Isaac Flagg '64, only three months younger than Browne is the oldest graduate in regard to class. William E. Marsh '62, who never graduated remains the oldest alumnus, having reached the age of 100.

Deserting his early career in law in 1880, Morse who lived in Needham became wolf-known in literary circles with his biographies of Lincoln, Hamilton, and Franklin. Rogers continued to be a lawyer in Boston throughout his life, going regularly to his office until last Tuesday. By his own admission he lived by the motto: "He who lives moderately, lives a long time."

Added years didn't dull Rogers' wit. When the famous pump in the Yard was repaired last June, he was asked to have the first drink. In a brief impromptu speech he praised water as a benefit to humanity, saying "it's done so much for navigation."