BINGHAM TO GIVE H.A.A. DECISION ON COUNCIL'S REPORT

Committee on Regulating Athletics Will Confer and Present Views on Monday, April 12

Suggestions advanced in the recent Student Council report in regard to the status of athletics here will be discussed on April 12, the first Monday after vacation by the Committee for the Regulation of Athletic Sports; an official statement on the report will be forthcoming at the time.

Action Deferred

Until then William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, refused to comment. The Committee, of which he is chairman, is composed of Dean Hanford, Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, Chester N. Greenough '98, professor of English, William Edmunds '00, George Whitney '07, Charles C. Buell '23, George S. Ford '37, Walter H. Page, 2d '37, and Robert B. Watson '37.

$500,000 Too Much

Any action on the proposed hockey rink is dependent on only one thing, the raising of sufficient money. It is believed, however, by Bingham, that the cost of $500,000 estimated in the Council Report is excessive. Private donations have built the cages and Dillon Field House, and it is though possible that some graduate may contribute funds for the proposed project.

Under Bingham's plan, any rink that would be built would seat considerably less than the 5,000 advocated by the report and would be mainly for practice and intramural teams. Intercollegiate games would be continued to be played in the Arena or Garden which alone can seat the crowds that attend the big games.

Funds Needed

Any action on the athletic report of the Council, which advocated among other things more efficient and centralized organization in order to promote athletics for all, will also depend on getting sufficient funds. It is not thought possible for the H.A.A. to advance all this money itself, and some will probably have to come from the budget of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences under the direction of John W. Lowes '20, financial vice-president.

An analysis of the number of men in the Houses who have bought participation tickets shows that there are only about 500 who would be affected by the suggestion of compulsory fees, and this additional $5,000 would not be sufficient to cover the whole program. The money for the Yale program mentioned in the Council Report was all donated by Edward S. Harkness, who made possible the House plan here.