COMPETITION FOR LEE WADE, BOYLSTON PRIZES TAKES PLACE TONIGHT

20 MEN SURVIVE H-Y-P DEBATE TRIALS LAST NIGHT

Ten students will speak tonight in the finals of he competition for the Lee Wade and the Boylston Prizes for Elocution, which will take place in Paine Hall, of the Music Building, at 8 o'clock. These ten were chosen in a preliminary competition from 33 applicants.

Judges who have been selected are: Charles Francis Adams '88, former Secretary of the Navy and now a member of the Board of Overseers; Dr. Elliott C. Cutler '09, President of the Associated Harvard Clubs; and Charles B. Gulick '90, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature. Neil G. Malone '37, First Marshal of the Senior Class, will preside.

Particularly interesting among the speeches will be a selection from the "Iliad", given by Laird McK. Ogle '37. This is the first time since 1886 that a competitor has offered a selection in Greek. In that year George Santayana '86 won second prize with a selection from the same work.

Four prizes will be awarded this evening, two of $50,00 and two of $35. The first prize is the Lee Wade, and the other three are all Boylston prizes. The Lee Wade Prizes was founded in the memory of Lee Wade, 2nd '14, while the Boylston prizes are of older origin, being founded in 1817 in honor of Nicholas Boylston.

Tonight's speakers and their selections are: Howard L. Blackwell Jr. '39, of Cambridge, Mass., excerpt from "Messer Marco Polo," by Donn Byrne; Tucker Dean '37, of Chicago, Ill., "The Committee for Industrial Organization: A Challenge to the campus," by John L. Lewis; Edward J. Duggan '37, of Chelsea, Mass., "The supreme Judicial Tribunal," by wil- liam E. Borah; Arthur Ellison '37, of Chelsea, Mass., excerpt from "The Selective Principle in Education," by James B. Conant; Norman E. Hunt '38, of Brookline, Mass., "The Bombardment," by Amy Lowell; Wiley E. Mayne '38, of Sanborn, Ia., "Daniel O'Connell," by Wendell Phillips; Laird Mck. Ogle, '37, of Norwalk, Conn., "Hector's Farewell to Andromache," from The Hiad, Book VI, Homer; Ellwood M. Rabenold Jr. '37, of New York, N. Y., "The Judiciary Act of 1802," by Hon. James A. Bayard; Fred Rogosin '39, of Dorchester, Mass., "Steel," by Joseph Auslander; and Willard M. Whitman Jr. '39, of Marquette, Mich., "The Creation," by James W. Johnson.

These prizes are awarded to the winners in a public competition open to upperclassmen. The terms set down by the donors require that the speakers recite material of their own selection in prose or verse from English, Latin, or Greek Literature, which are approved by the Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory