SPORT COUNCIL TO ACT ON BASKETBALL STATUS

DECISION BY FINAL COMMITTEE IS DUE APRIL 12

At its first regular meeting since its formation in December, the Undergraduate Athletic council yesterday discussed a proposed change in the status of basketball from a minor to a major sport. Although nothing definite was done, the Council put the mater on the calendar agenda for its next meeting on Monday, April 12, when a definite decision will be reached.

If the Council for a Major at that time, its recommendation will be taken immediately to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, meeting simultaneously in the Faculty Club on the same date, for final action.

The Council is composed of the captains and managers of the five major sports--football, hockey, baseball, crew and track, and the president and secretary of the Minor Sports Council. This year the representatives of the minor sports are Ernest A. Gray, Jr. '37, basketball captain, and John J. Colony '37, swimming captain.

Regular monthly meetings of the Council are to be a fixture, it was learned, in an attempt to establish an undergraduate athletic body that is active and in touch with trends of student opinion.

There has been considerable agitation to make baseball a major sport recently, and the Student Council at a meeting last Wednesday recommended such a step.