Professor Baxter, Dr. Bock Will Speak Tomorrow Morning to Freshmen on Fields of Concentration

Dean Lewis Urges 1940 See Advisers And Department Heads Early

By Geoffrey W. Lewis, Assistant Dean of Harvard College

Sometime during the next two weeks every Freshman must make a decision of considerable importance. He must decide to which field he will devote the major part of his time and interest during the remainder of his college course. In order to aid him in some measure to make his choice wisely Professor J. P. Baxter and Dr. Arlie V. Bock will speak on the choice of a field of concentration at a meeting of all members of the class of 1940. This meeting will be held in New Lecture Hall on tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. Freshman will be excused from regular class meetings at this hour.

Every Freshman must indicate his choice of a field of concentration by Friday, March 19. Two blanks, which are to be filled in and returned to the office of the Committee on the Choice of Electives in C University Hall not inter than 5 o'clock on that date, are being sent to every member of the class. One blank, the Plan of Study, must include the specific courses which the student expects to take both in his field and for distribution; the other; his Study Card for 1937-38, must include a list of the courses he expects to take next year. Due to important changes in courses for next year, it is essential that every Freshman consult the provisional Announcement of Courses for 1937-38, copies of which will be available after March first.

Members of the various Departments will hold office hours during the two week period from March 6 to March 19 for the purpose of consulting Freshman regarding their choice of concentration. The Freshman Advisers will also be available during the same period. In order that the advisors and departmental representatives may have sufficient time to consult with students regarding so vital a question as the choice of a field of concentration, it is important that members of the class of 1940 commence these interviews as soon as possible instead of leaving the matter until the last few days of the period set aside for conferences.