Five Junior Fellows Selected by Senior Members During Vacation

Shapiro Lectures on Pitcairn Island as Famed Scientists Gather Here

Five young men, selected for their promise of notable contribution to knowledge and thought, will join the Society of Fellows at Harvard next September as Junior Fellows, according to an announcement made last Tuesday by the Senior Fellows, headed by President Conant.

The new Fellows are Orville T. Bailey, of Boston; James G. Baker, of Shelbyville, Kentucky; Albert B. Lord, of Cambridge, Mass.; Reed C. Rollins, of Lyman, Wyoming; and Paul A. Samuelson, of Chicago.

This makes a total of thirty-one young men from various colleges who have been appointed Junior Fellows at Harvard since the founding of the Society in 1933. At present there are twenty Junior Fellows, the maximum being twenty-four.

The Junior Fellows study for three years at the expense of the University and have free use of all its facilities. Receiving no credit for courses and ineligible for any degree, they devote their whole time to productive scholarship and independent research. The Society is designed to meet the problem of associating future creative scholars in a distinct body that will have an attraction for ambitious young men of talent.

Anthropology

At the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists last week in the Institute of Geographical Exploration, some sixty noted scientists from different sections of the country delivered various addresses on racial development.

Heading the list of speakers at the three-day meeting, March 8-10, was Dr. Harry L. Shapiro, Associate Curator of Physical Anthropology at the American Museum of Natural History, New York. Dr. Shapiro is the first man to make a scientific study of the famous Pitcairn Island group, descendants of the mutineers of the "Bounty" and their Tahitian wives, whose marriages have provided modern science with a classic example of racial mixture.

His address was illustrated with motion pictures.

Other main addresses before the Association, some of which were held at the Faculty Club, included those by Drs. Herbert I. Margolis, Lawrence W. Baker, Carl T. Nelson '28, H. T. E. Hertzberg, Carl Seltzer '29, D. B. Dill, and Carleton S. Coon '25, all of the University.

Schick

William A. Schick, Jr. '05, captain of the 1905 track team and holder of many intercollegiate records, died Sunday, April 7, at Brookline, Mass., at the age of 55.

Schick, considered the fastest sprinter in the history of track at Harvard, was intercollegiate champion in the 100 and 220 yard dashes for two years and held the distinction of being the only Harvard man to beat Yale four times in a row in those events.

Traffic Research

Formation of the Harvard Traffic Associates, to promote traffic safety and to encourage the adoption of scientific methods of traffic control, was announced last Saturday, following sanction by University authorities.