MAJOR STATUS FOR BASKETBALL ASKED BY ATHLETIC BODY

Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports Met Yesterday--Captains to Advise on Managers

Final undergraduate action on the status of Basketball was taken yesterday when the Undergraduate Athletic Council at a meeting in the Varsity Club recommended that it be made a major sport. The Council's unanimous vote was brought immediately to the Faculty Club where the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports was officially to decide the fate of Basketball. The decision of the Committee will not be made public until Wednesday.

Figures were produced to show the popularity of the game in the University by Ernest. A. Gray, Jr. '37, this year's captain. He declared that 430 men took part in some form of Basketball this year, and cited the increase from 50 to 85 candidates for the Varsity team since the Intercollegiate League was joined.

Yesterday's meeting was the climax of the agitation which has been going on since. Yale's action left Harvard's team the only one in the League whose position was minor. The Student Council recommended such a move in a report on March 25, on the grounds of rising popular interest in the game both by players and spectators.

Captains Advise on Managers

An unofficial practice of some years' standing in which the Captain of a team advises on the selection of the manager was confirmed officially by the Council yesterday. This action, while still leaving the matter with the managers, will, it is felt, add the point of view of the players to the choice.