VOICE OF ACCLAIM

The entrance of basketball into the realm of major sports has long been sought after and should not go unheralded. Not since 1913 has the number of major sports at Harvard been increased, and basketball, one of the more popular of the minors has suffered the handicaps which accompany the less important sports. Popular appeal has brought to the attention of Quincy Street officials the justification of promoting the position of the sport.

Although this change has undoubtedly come for reasons of expediency as well as any other, it does show that the H.A.A. is willing to listen, even though not to act, on every suggestion. When the Student Council appointed a special committee to investigate this particular branch of undergraduate, life, another indication that the H.A.A. was not as interested in the opinion of the student body as might be expected was brought to light.

Recent murmurings of the possibility of reducing, or raising, all unorganized sport to the same level of intra-mural athletics have aroused a great deal of comment. If such a change were proposed, certainly the undergraduate body should have a voice in the matter.