INTRA-MURAL MONEY

To preserve the balance of the H.A.A.'s budget, the University has supplied some six thousand dollars to meet the expenses of the new program of rigid organization for intra-mural inter-house athletics. Since the University already supplies about twenty-five thousand dollars annually to the support of the Freshman compulsory exercises, it is now inaugurating nothing new, but merely extending its policy of paying for the beneficial gymnastics of the team athletes.

With the additional money taken from the University's general funds, two commendable purposes will be served at once. House athletics will be braced by the much-needed tonic of well organized sports, while it will be possible to give remuncrative work to a few members of each House. At the same time the vital interests of the Houses will be consulted by having the Masters voice their approval of the intra-mural managers who are selected. In this way no House will be consigned to athletic oblivion through the appointment of incompetent or unpopular managers.

In endowing the program with its own funds, the University is actually fostering four years of exercise for those who are unwilling or unable to compete on the varsity teams. Thus it appears that official recognition, in a sense, has been given to the importance of sports in the daily round of the average undergraduate, as well as to the athlete, and for the University to assume this responsibility and to back up the somewhat straightened Athletic association, is a real step forward in Harvard's educational policy.