The Crimson Moviegoer

Muni and Hopkins Weave Web of Love and War; Dunn, Eilers Frolic in Fun-Festive Comedy

Stark Young's "So Red The Rose" contains the germ of a truly dramatic idea, and the sensitive adaptation by Sherwood Anderson and Lawrence Stallings makes the most of it. The scene is laid in Missouri during the Civil War, where we find Randolph Scott in the role of the forerunner to the modern conscientious objector. He "likes to see things grow," and hates destruction. His mature and civilized ideology run counter to the inflamed and destructive passions of the times. Consequently he is socially ostracized, is called a coward by his beloved cousin (Margaret Sullavan), and is torn by divided loyalties. Before the war is over, he capitulates and joins the Southern side, and then comes the complete transformation in to a soldier, whose one dominating instinct is to kill.

Margaret Sullavan contributes her most outstanding role in an outstanding. If relatively short career, as a charming and rather giddy Southern belle metamorphosed into a fine character by many sorrows. Walter Connelly and Janet Beecher as her father and mother share honors only with Margaret Sullavan. And even Randolph Scott, under inspired direction, makes the role of the pacifist convincing. "So Red the Rose" is genuinely worth seeing.

"I Found Stella Parrish" traces the vicissitudes of a great actress who falls pretty low. Her woes are made known to the world by an inquisitive but charming newshound, and in this way they form a diverting fule. The histrionic ability of Kay Francis, playing the title role, is open to question, but the supporting east is brilliant.