Strong Varsity and Jayvee Crews Defeat Princeton in Compton Race

Varsity Crews Even for First Mile, Then Harvard Pulled Away Slowly to Win by Three-Quarters of a Length; Jayvees Sprint to Victory After Trailing at Start

For the first time in years Harvard is ranking as a power in Eastern rowing, for the new Bolles regime went off to an auspicious start Saturday afternoon as the Crimson's first and second eights glided to victory in the Compton Cup races.

As the battery of jubiliant oarsmen got off their train at the South Station last evening, they scemed to be heading for a successful season with Navy now the biggest cloud on the horizon ahead. Princeton is no mean crew, and Captain Eddie Bennett's eight trimmed them, cleanly and soundly.

One day last week, after a change in the seatings, the Tiger crew went on a time trial and smashed their Lake Carnegio course record. Their confidence waned as they watched a Harvard Jayvee boat plow through sloppy water to make up a deficit of more than a length and cross the finish line in a blaze of glory.

Then came the referee's voice as the Varsity eights were on the line. The strong head wind and with it the sea had dropped as he cried "Ready, Row!" The boats were off like a flash. Harvard started easily, soon dropped to a lower stroke than the Tigers, but stayed with them. "Spike" Chace settled down to a smooth, easy 32; Princeton was two strokes higher behind Fred Warner.

Down the first half mile the two crews rowed bow to bow, stroke to stroke, Harvard always using the slower stroke, Princeton combining the higher stroke with a longer layback. A bit lighter than their rivals, the 181 pound Harvard crew was packing the power in as they took an infinitestimal lead about half way through the course.

Inch by Inch Into the Lead

Half a mile to go . . . the stroke went up a little and as it did the Harvard boat, inch by inch, pulled into the lead. It was slow business, but it was sure. Down the last quarter it was all Tom Bolles's boys. Up and up went the stroke as the crew shot away from Princeton's tiring crew, past blaring automobile horns and wildly yelling Harvardians watching their rowing Renaissance. The Varsity didn't look quite as smooth as the Jayvees had, but in true Washington style they were winning that race in its closing stages.

The Jayvee race proceeding had been no loss thrilling. They too went off to an easy start, settled down to a steady 32. But unlike the Varsity race, the Tigers, three or four strokes higher, pulled away to a 1 1-2 length lead at the quarter. They could not hold it, and a mile later the two boats were even as they entered the last half.

Coxwain Fox started to yell to the power in the waist of the boat, and though the stroke didn't go up then, the power went on and the unbelievably smooth boat pulled away, opening up a lead they climaxed in a beautiful closing sprint.

It was a great day for Harvard rowing. It is hard to trace the reasons for the victory. The bladework of both boats was good, their weights nearly the same. The Princeton boat with its longer layback, its harder catch, seemed to dip just a trifle. Like good Washington crews of the old Bolles Harvard started easily, finished smoothly with plenty of power.