Shean in First Appearance on Mound Hurls Varsity to Victory Over Brown

McTernen Drives In Winning Run For Crimson In Ninth Inning; Jayvees Win

With Buster McTernen pounding out a clean single to left with two outs in the last of the ninth, scoring Lupe Lupien from third for the winning run, the Varsity nine nosed out Brown 7 to 6 yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

Dave Shean, regular outfielder, who in a surprise move toes the slab for the Crimson, allowed the Bruins only eight hits in his first attempt at pitching in two years. Shean's success yesterday partially lightens Coach Fred Mitchell's hurling problems.

Brown Scores 4 in Fourth

Although his teammates made six errors in the field, the new twirler kept the enemy hits well scattered, fanning five men and allowing but one base on balls. Four of the Brown tallies came in the fourth frame, when the opposition bunched four base hits, capitalizing on two misplays and a wild pitch.

Hitless during the first three innings the Varsity trailed the Bruins by five runs. Art Johnson led off in the fourth with a grounder through shortstop, advancing to second when Lupien walked. Frankie Owen's bingle to left, followed with doubles by McTernen and Jim Sullivan, brought in four runs, bringing the score to 5-4.

Score Tied in Eighth

In the first of the eighth frame, the Bruins rushed a single run across the plate to increase their lead, but one base hit and three walks accounted for two Crimson tallies in the last half of the inning, tying the score.

With his sharp bingle to left, putting the game on ice in the ninth, McTernen carried off batting honors for the day with three hits in five trips to the plate.

Jayvees Trim B. U. Freshmen

Thirteen hits and eight B. U. Freshman errors gave the Junior Varsity baseball team a 12 to 7 victory over the Terriers yesterday afternoon on the Soldiers Field diamond.

With Procter Avon, Crimson hurler, in distress after eight men had faced him in the seventh, Lefty Edinberg took over the mound assignment retiring the Freshmen with the bases loaded.

Captain Bob Regan, second baseman, and Jim Garret, left fielder led the Jayvees at bat with four hits in five times up. Harvard Varsity Box-Score     ab  r  h  po  a  e Johns, 2b  4  1  1  3  3  1 Lupien, 1b  4  2  2  9  2  0 Bilodean, ss  4  0  0  0  7  2 Owen, 3b  4  2  1  1  0  0 McTernen, cf  5  2  3  2  0  1 Sullivan, rf  3  0  2  3  0  0 Allen, lf  2  0  0  1  0  0 Colwell, c  3  0  1  6  0  2 Shean, p  4  0  0  2  1  0     33  7  10  27  13  6