NORTHEASTERN FALLS BENEATH 12-3 ATTACK OF CRIMSON SLUGGERS

SHEAN HOLDS HUSKIES SCORELESS UNTIL SEVENTH

Smashing in eight runs in the wild second inning, the rejuvenated Varsity nine buried a sloppy Northeastern team 12 to 3 yesterday afternoon in a seven inning battle cut short by rain on Soldiers Field.

In his second start since he pitched for the Freshmen two years ago, Dave Shean slowballed his way through six frames without yielding a single run to the Huskies. Yesterday's victory evened the Crimson standings for the season with six wins and the same number of losses.

Huskies Scoreless Until Seventh

Although granting the enemy batters nine blows, Shean kept the hits well scattered until tiring in the seventh when four Northeastern men reached first on solid knocks, with three runs crossing the plate. In addition the Crimson twirler dished out but three walks to opposing batsmen.

During the slugging spree of the last half of the second, each member of the Varsity nine except Shean tallied once. Buster MacTernen, and A1 Colwell led the Crimson at bat with a home-run and a single. Adding cheer to the Mitchell cause was the end of Captain Tom Bilodeau's batting slump, when the sharp hitting shortstop collected two singles and a double.

Eight Run Lead in Second

Six basehits and four errors accounted for the Crimson's eight tallies in the second frame, which gave the Varsity the determining lead over the Huskies. In the fourth the Mitchellmen added three more scores on an equal number of hits, while the final tally came in the fifth when Bilodeau's bingle drove in Dick Grondahl.

Hammered for 12 hits, Gus Rook tolled for six innings with his slow ball mercilessly pounded by the Crimson batters. In the first of the seventh Callahan took the mound for the Huskies and retired the Varsity easily, with Dave Shean and Dave MacIntosh fanning, and Lupe Lupien caught at second after singling to third.

The Harvard Varsity box-score.   AB  R  H  PO  A  E McTernen, cf  4  1  2  1  0  1 Lupien, 1b  5  1  2  7  0  0 Bilodeau, ss  4  2  3  2  2  0 Owen, 3b  4  1  0  0  1  0 Sullivan, rf  4  2  2  4  0  0 Colwell, c  4  2  2  3  0  0 Allen, lf  3  1  1  1  0  0 Grondahl, 2b  1  2  0  0  1  0 Shean, p  3  0  1  3  2  0   32  12  13  21  6  1

Score by innings:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  R  H  E Harvard  0  8  0  3  1  0  0  12  13  1 Northeastern  0  0  0  0  0  0  3  3  9  5