VALEDICTORY

Bright and sunny days in June are the signal throughout the American educational world for white-flannels, caps and gowns, and a torrential flood of altruistic oratory poured out over the listening ears of eager youth. Unfortunately much of this baccalaureate wisdom has to do with the challenge of youth--how mankind can confidently expect that all the ills that flesh is heir to will melt away as soon as flaming youth has seized the helm--and is soon forgotten. But it is nonetheless true that the seven hundred odd Harvard men who take their bachelors degrees on Thursday have an unparalled opportunity for service ahead of them.

No matter what may be said from time to time in criticism or praise of the educational system at Harvard, it is still true that four years within Harvard's walls is as promising a training for work and play in the American civilization as can be found. Especially at times of shifting values, when many things which a few years ago looked safe for generations are crumbling to the ground, and when new ideals and ideologies are taking root in masses of people it is valuable to have the experience in learning to think and to meet new problems which, more than any other one thing, four years at Harvard are able to give. For although at the end of undergraduate years a student may feel more obliged to the College for helping him to a knowledge of a field of history, say, or a science, or a pre-legal course or a specific bit of training leading on to a job, the greatest service which the College can give him is the ability to think and "a zest for intellectual endeavor."

For the men who issue forth from Cambridge on the world this week there can be nothing but optimism. It can be predicted with confidence that no matter how the passage of time may direct events into unknown and uncharted seas, there will always be opportunity for men of ability. And with this ability, it should be possible for the young men of Harvard to shape their destinies. For it is to these men that the union in general and the University in particular will look for support in the years to come. There can perhaps be no better words with which to send off a graduating class than the motto carved on the back of one of the gates of the Yard,

"Depart to serve better thy country and thy kind."