VARIETY OF SUBJECTS WILL BE OFFERED TO BOSTONIANS THIS YEAR

SPENCER TO PRESENT SURVEY OF SHAKSPERE'S WORK

Government control of industry, masterpieces of music and painting, and elementary psychology are among the college subjects offered in afternoon and evening courses for adults of Greater Boston by the Commission on Extension Courses this fall and winter, it was announced Saturday.

Outstanding new courses this year will be a survey of Shakspere's dramatic career, given by Theodore Spencer, Assistant Professor of English; and the history of American Literature, by Kenneth B. Murdock '16, professor of English.

Botany Starts Session

The extension work opened Saturday with the first meeting of a course in General Botany, at the Biological Laboratories at 10 o'clock. This course, taught by Ralph H. Wetmore, Associate Professor of Botany, covers the fundamentals of botany in informal lectures, discussions, laboratory work, and visits to museums.

Other subjects, numbering 27 courses in nearly every broad field of university study, will held first meetings at classrooms in Cambridge and Boston beginning Friday, October 1. The work is conducted by the Commission on Extension Courses, representing eleven educational institutions in this area. Students may attend the first two meetings of a course without paying the tuition fee of $2.50 to $5.00.

Local Colleges Co-operate

The faculty for the evening courses this year numbers 23 local educators, drawn from the staffs of Harvard, Boston University, Tufts College, Simmons College, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and Wellesley College. The courses have no formal entrance requirements and may be counted toward the degree of Adjuncts in Arts at Harvard.

The commercial and industrial history of the United States since 1760, covering the economic and public problems of the tariff, railroads, and great industrial corporations, will be taught by Professor Abbott P. Usher, of Harvard.

In music, Professor John P. Marshall, of Boston University, will discuss the greatest of operatic and symphonic music, tracing the history of the opera in Europe and America, and analysing the development of the symphony and the modern symphony orchestra.

Modern Painting Featured

A comprehensive survey of the various movements in modern painting will be conducted by James S. Plaut, of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, dealing mainly with French painters of the nineteenth century, as well as with European forerunners of modernism, and current painting in Europe and America.

Two courses in Psychology will be offered by Professor Wayland F. Vaughan, of Boston University, an introduction to the subject beginning Monday, October 4, and a treatment of Social Psychology during the second half year beginning in February.

Morris B. Lambie, professor of Government, one of the country's foremost authorities on city governments, will give a new course in Municipal Government starting in February.

Wide Variety of Fields

Other courses starting in October include descriptive astronomy; elementary and advanced English composition; conversational French; French, German, Italian, and Spanish languages; the American Constitution, including a study of Supreme Court decisions; the American Revolution and formation of the Union; and great philosophers of ancient and modern times. In November, a course in geology will begin; and in February, courses in European history 1815-71, in geography, and in zoology.