BIG GREEN EDGES CRIMSON QUINTET IN 43-42 BATTLE

Neither Side Dominates Play With Five Points Largest Lead at Any Time During Game

With the lead constantly see-sawing back and forth, the Crimson basketball team dropped a 43-42 heartbreaker to the Dartmouth quintet at Hanover Saturday night.

Following Charlie Lutz'n free throw putting the Crimson out in front at 42-41, in the final minutes of play Joe Batchelder snatched victory from the Fishermen by tossing a field goal, and the Indians successfully staved off the closing Crimson rally.

Lupien Leads Crimson Scorers

While the Big Green concentrated their defense on the Varsity high-scorers, John Herrick and George Lowman, Ulysses Lupien and Lutz tallied 12 and 11 points respectively. Topping the scoring column for the evening, the Dartmouth captain, Bill Thomas sank five baskets and three fouls for 13 points.

Harvard's strong showing Saturday against the pre-season favored Indians indicates that Coach Wes Fesler's quintet will be very much in the running for the Ivy League championship. Against Dartmouth the Crimson showed their best form of the season, swiftly working the ball in under the enemy basket. Herrick and Lowman Shine on Defense

Although shadowed by Lupien and Lutz in scoring, Lowman and Herrick along with Captain Vernon Struck were outstanding on the defense. The tall Crimson center was "pinched" under the Dartmouth basket, but proved invaluable in grabbing the ball off his own back-board, while Lowman held Bob McLoed, Indian threat, to five points.

Opening fast in the first half the Varsity hoopsters jumped ahead to a 14-9 lead, the largest margin either team held during the game and led the Big Green 27-25 at half-time.