FACULTY SEEKS REPEAL OF TEACHERS' OATH LAW

REYNOLDS, REPRESENTING UNION, STARTS REPEAL BILL

From the depths of political defeat determined groups within the Student Body and Faculty are rising once again to stamp out forever the offensive Teachers' Oath Law which has harassed the University for years.

With the introduction of a repeal measure in the State Legislature last week by John H. Reynolds, legislative agent for the Massachusetts Council of Teacher's Unions, the drive was definitely under way.

Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Government, who was the spearhead of the Faculty attack in 1937, believed that the bill would pass in both the House of Representatives and the Senate as it did last year before it was stamped with Governor Hurley's veto.

In reply to the Governor's message to the Legislature in which he reaffirmed his support of the Curley law, Mather said: "My only reply to Hurley is that so many people disagree with his conclusion that the Teachers' Oath is in-offensive' that in all probability it will be an item of considerable importance in the campaign for election of Governor in the fall of 1938"

Although the Society for Freedom in Teaching, powerful lobbyist last year, has no aspirant picked for the governorship, the professor said that it was the intention of the group "to put each candidate on the spot."