World Unrest Cause Of Greater Illness

of thirty years ago.

"As doctors, we no longer look at most of the abnormal responses of the body as being solely due to specific infections agents or even to age alone. The role played by the stresses and strains of living in the initiation of various types, of acute and chronic illness is difficult of analysis, but it is nevertheless a factor in the lives of all who attempt to meet their responsibilities.

"If we could relieve by miraculous action the stress of modern pressures of all kinds and restore something of the old tranquillity of life, the need of physicians would be greatly reduced.

"As long as trouble is abroad in the world in its present proportions, the incidence of all kinds of illness will remain high. In addition to specific physical disorders, we cannot escape the mounting problems concerned with the total personality of young men. These problems may interfere with normal intellectual progress, with development of sound social reactions, and defeat a man's capacity to determine even the choice of a career."

In consideration of these modern complexities "it is possible to predict a broader role for medicine in the university than is involved in the care of acute infections and other physical disorders," Dr. Bock said.

Personality All-Important

"The fitness of a man for high education, or the particular form of this education, the choice of a career, the development of an effective personality, the solution of personality problems, are all questions which should be met more frankly in the future than they have been in the past, since they form the foundation of a useful education.

"It is not likely that these problems will be solved outside of the University nor that any department of the University can attack the issues involved except the medical department.

"As time passes it seems logical to expect a different emphasis on the work of the department of hygiene than has been customary because of the growing complexity of human relations and the need to turn men out of the University better qualified to take their places in the affairs of life. University men, like all others, have problems to be solved that fall beyond the scope of formal lectures and the activities of the offices of the various deans."