ICE WANTED

Although the second snowstorm of the year rather dampened the hopes of the hockey fans for more skating on the Charles River, still, the hordes who have responded to the cold weather are convincing proof that some more consistent expanse of ice should be provided for Harvard skaters, than the running waters of a river. Just across Larz Anderson bridge some part of the large flat grounds of Soldiers Field could be transformed into a skating rink that would practically double the number of days when ice would be available to the University.

Back in the early depression days, an outdoor skating area of Soldiers Field was abandoned because there were too few enthusiasts and too few cold days to make the expense worth while. But the interest this year shows that the weather is the only stumbling block, and so far it, too, has been cooperative. It does not seen as if the cost of flooding a level ground and building boards around it counterbalance the advantages of a rink, even during a fairly warm winter. For there are a great many days each year when there is no skating on the Charles, while a rink would be crowded. Here, if snow were scraped off and rough ice were flooded, one cold night would produce good ice even if it thawed somewhat the next day.

However, another reason which has made the authorities hesitate to spend more money on outdoor facilities has been the hope that eventually as long as the building remains a fancy rather then a fact, the minor expense of an outdoor rink should be important enough to be included in the budget of the Athletic Association. What is more, a small price for the use of the ice would be willingly paid by the undergraduates and would relieve the burden of expense. So, as the cold days are moving by, the vast expanse of Soldiers Field is only waiting to be of some use to the college during the winter, and to give harried students fresh air and exercise at a time when they need them most.