Building Service Workers for HAA Get Pay Increase

Previously Unconfirmed Talk of Restoration of 1932 Wages Is Corroborated

Rumors that the H.A.A. has awarded substantial wage increases to its building service workers were confirmed yesterday by University officials. The report originated in an introductory union rally for maids and maintenance men last week.

Affecting about 45 men, a restoration of pay cuts made during the Depression years is intended to put salary scales on a par with revisions made by the University for all other employees doing similar work.

Depression Hit H.A.A.

It was explained that in 1932 the wages of several H.A.A. workers were reduced because of business conditions, but that they are now getting approximately what they were before.

A few weeks ago directors of the Athletic Department noted that several men were receiving a few dollars less than those employed by a different branch of the College. The difference amounted to about $2. In addition, the employers said that not only those who were here in 1932, but all men who have joined the staff since are affected by the new ordinance.

Three Pay-Cuts Since Depression

Last Wednesday a building service worker claimed that before the Depression the standard wage for this type of work was $30 a week. Three pay cuts reduced salaries of many to as low as $24, he said, adding that the $2 average increase did not effect a complete restitution.