TWO WOMEN GIVEN ASTRONOMY POSTS IN OBSERVATORY

World-Famous Women Authorities Only 2nd, 3rd Women on Faculty; Move Rare One for University to Make

Two women astronomers were voted titled professorships by the Corporation, it was announced yesterday, thus making them the second and third women to receive Harvard appointments. The two are Dr. Annie Jump Cannon, who has been made William Cranch Bond Astronomer and Curator of Astronomical Photographs, and Dr. Cecilia Payne Gaposchkin, Phillips Astronomer.

Dr. Hamilton First Woman Professor

The two women, whose appointments are effective from the first of this year, are recognized as the two foremost women astronomers in the world.

The first women to receive a corporation appointment was Dr. Alice Hamilton, who is now assistant professor of industrial medicine, emeritus.

The titled professorships are newly created to honor William Cranch Bond, who founded the Observatory, and Edward Bromfield Phillips, one of its early benefactors.

Honors Have Come to Both

Dr. Cannon, who has been on the research staff of the Observatory since 1897, is famous for her classification of the two hundred and twenty-five thousand spectra described in the Henry Draper Catalogue of Stellar Spectra, and for her work in the field of variable stars. She has received many honors in this country and abroad.

Dr. Gaposchkin, who has been on the research staff of the Observatory since 1927, is recognized as one of the world's two or three most prominent workers in the field of standard photometry. Her notable works include "Stellar Atmospheres" and "Stars of High Luminosity." Her catalogues of stellar magnitudes are the recognized standard.