THE PRESS

NOTES ON NIEMAN

We, in no way condemning the Varsity players, and commending them for the sacrifices they have made and the spirit they have always shown; but

BELIEVING 1. that intercollegiate football as now played may no longer be considered "sport" in the true sense of the word, and that the term "sport" and intercollegiate football of today are incompatible;

2. believing that above all "sport" should be preserved and fostered by an intensive development of the intramural program;

3. believing that the student body desires intercollegiate football, a winning team, and the spectacle and excitement of a well-played game that accompanies a winning team;

4. believing that it is detrimental to the reputation of the University to suffer helpless humiliation over and over again as under present conditions;

5. believing that it is injurious to both the physical condition and the morale of the players to be pitted against such comparaively powerful opponents as have been met during the past few years and are scheduled for the next two seasons;

6. believing that there is nothing morally wrong in offering a football player room, tuition, and a job by which he can earn his board;

7. believing that there are many boys who would not otherwise obtain a college education who might be able to do so by means of their abilities as football players, and that such men should be allowed to work their way through college by playing football, just as a man earns his way by grading papers or instructing in a laboratory;

ENDORSE THE FOLLOWING PROPOSAL:

1. that the present rules regarding compensation of athletes under the Southern Conference (including the Graham Plan) be abolished;

2. That the Southern Conference be urged to adopt a fundamental code to embody the freshman rule, the migratory rule, the professional rule, and a rule providing for the maintenance of the present entrance and scholastic rquirements; or otherwise, that the University of Virginia withdraw from the Southern Conference and adopt such a code;

3. that no money be paid a football player in return for his services, but that the University be permitted to offer room and tuition free, and a job by means of which he may be able to earn enough to pay for his board;

4. that alumni be permitted to pay a player's expenses through school provided they adhere to the restrictions of the above paragraph;

5. and that no discrimination be shown for or against athletes in the awarding of scholarships by the University scholarship committee. "College Topics".   University of Virginia   November 9, 1936