TWO MEN EXHIBITIONS OPENING AT WIDENER

Works of Swedish Scientist Now on Exhibition; Also 50 Best Books of 1936 in England

An exhibit of the works of Emmanuel Swendenberg, Swedish scientist, philosopher, and mystic, was arranged in Widener Library today.

International celebration of the 250th anniversary of Swendenberg's birth, January 29, 1688, will be held next Saturday.

Included in the Harvard display are the most important of Swendenberg's treatises on science, mining systems, and theology. Editions are shown of his "Principia Rerum Naturalum," published in 1734; "Economy of the Animal Kingdom," 1741, his first important study of the human body; and his "Opera Philosophica at Mineralia," 1734.

The fifty outstanding British books of 1936, selected by the First Editions Club of London as the finest examples of book-making in that year, are also on display at the Library.

This is a travelling exhibit organized by the American Institute of Graphic Arts. It will remain at Harvard until February 5.

Through a special system of selection, inexpensive and costly books were judged equally, and out of the fifty books more than half cost 42.50 or less. The books range in price from about sixty cents to about five hundred dollars.